Monday, October 26, 2009

On mice and men

Well, normally, mice can be regarded as cute, but at the moment they turn up at your house, you feel like screaming and jumping up on chairs. It is that easy.
Fortunately, I wasn't the first to spot our first mouse. I even couldn't get the fear of the girls when they told me they had contacted pest control. (Of course, the guy showed up, set some traps with and without poison and disappeared charging EUR 280! Something we could have done easily ourselves, he only confirmed that we had not to deal with rats, but with mice...). Of course, we couldn't find the mouse later, and the traps didn't work. Then, when Helena came over to visit me, the sitting room was smelling really awfully, and now, several weeks later, we know that the mouse had babies...
Then, days later I was sitting in the living room, enjoying a movie and reading, when I noticed something big running and hiding under the chair, a fat dark-grey mouse. I just packed my stuff and went upstairs, closing the door firmly behind me. There I was, anxious that the mouse shall never go into my room. And freaked out a little myself, now being a testimony!
And then, one morning I spotted a mouse in my room. I left the door open, hoping it would disappear, and couldn't find it later anymore... But then, I found a dead baby-mouse in the hallway, and later on, when I returned tired to my room, there it was... Sitting on MY BED! - I cannot repeat it often enough, sitting on my bed and looking at me, as if to say, well, here I am, it's my room too. I left. We decided to put a box over the mouse, together with a trap. Denise helped me with it! But then, when they were talking about leaving the mouse traped under the box and leaving the room, I intervened. We took the top of my shoe box and put it underneath the plastic box (as if you would pick up a spider from a wall) and carried it outside, popping the baby mouse in the bin. Now, weeks later, I can laugh about it, how we were standing there, sweating and terrified to remove the mouse from my room, but at that time it really was horrible...
Denise bought stronger traps, and we killed two baby mice in our bathroom and another one upstairs. I strongly believe - and I do want to believe it! - that they are now all gone or dead.
Finally, the house is ours again!

No comments:

Post a Comment